Information for Parents

  • user gateway parents
  • College presents new opportunities for students to make decisions and become independent adults. Changes of this magnitude evoke mixed emotions in both students and parents. The excitement of a new beginning is often accompanied by worry about being successful.

    Anxiety is common among students transitioning to college – this is temporary. Your student  may become irritable or tense, feel overwhelmed or show other behavioral changes. 

    You may be wondering how your relationship will change. As a parent, you have been heavily invested in your son/daughter's academic, personal and social development. You were encouraged to take an active role in his/her education by attending meetings and checking grades on the web.

    You may feel obliged to continue this level of involvement during the college years. However, it is not helpful for your student when you continue to make decisions or manage responsibilities for him/her.

    We encourage you to allow your son/daughter to use this time to develop skills for transitioning into adulthood. Students who are trusted by parents have more self-confidence.

    Your student will still need you, especially for support with difficult decisions and during life's ups and downs, but it's important that you trust him/her to make the right choices.

    Support tips

    • Ask how things are going.
    • Keep lines of communication open.
    • Acknowledge that adjusting to college can be stressful.
    • Act as a sounding board for your student and avoid giving unsolicited advice. 
    • Allow your student to make mistakes. 
    • Resist rescuing - it could delay learning to making good decisions.
    • Tell your student that you trust him/her to do what it takes to get good grades.
    • Avoid checking up on attendance or grades. Part of the financial deal with your student may be to share end-of-term grades.

    If you have specific concerns about your student, you may call the Senior Director of Enrollment Development at 410-386-8405.