Blackboard Faculty Manual - The Discussion Board
The Discussion Board
The discussion board is an interactive feature of Blackboard. It allows for asynchronous communication – participants do not need to be online at the same time. As an instructor you can set up the discussion board by adding forums (main topics) and allowing students to add threads (responses) within those forums.
- Posting your first Forum (main topic):
- Click directly into the menu area (or button) where you have placed the discussion board (you do not need to do this From the control panel).
- Click “Add Forum”.
- Enter a title for the Forum.
- Enter a description for the forum.
- Select settings for the forum.
- Set forum user settings, if desired. Highlight a user and click the appropriate button to assign user settings.
- Click on Submit.
- Starting a new discussion (called a Thread) within an existing Forum (This is the procedure students will need to follow to add a thread to a forum that you have created):
- Click directly into the menu area (or button) where you have placed the discussion board (you do not need to do this from the control panel).
- Click on the forum name where you want to add a thread (A reply).
- Click on “Add New Thread”.
- Enter a subject for the thread
- Enter your message
- Attach a file (click on browse to locate the file on your computer) if that option is provided
- Click on submit.
Watch 7-minute video about the discussion board at http://www.blackboard.com/viewlets/Bb_Discussion_Board_Overview_viewlet_swf.htm (automated demo begins about 30 seconds after first screen)
Graphic presentation of some advanced features at http://www.cel.cmich.edu/faculty/docs/Discussion-Board-Advanced-Topics.pdf