Blackboard Faculty Manual - Testing
Testing - Step 2: Create the test
- Control Panel; Assessment; Test Manager
- Click “Add Test”
- Enter the name, description and instructions for the student in the appropriate boxes
- Click on “Creation Settings” to set a default point value for each question.
Note: You must choose the “Creation settings” before creating any questions in order for the options to be applied. Options you can choose include:
Provide feedback for individual answers
Add images, files, and URL’s to questions
Add images and files to answers
Add categories and keywords to questions
Click on “Submit” and then “ok” to return to the test canvas.
- Choose the type of question that you want to create (select type of question from the “Add question” drop down menu) OR choose to gather questions from pool (select “from question pool or assessment” located at the bottom of the drop down menu)
- Click “Go”
- You will be presented with a list of all tests and pools. Highlight the pool you want to use, then select the type of questions you would like to include in the test. If you want to see all questions in the pool select “All”.
- Click on “Search”. You will be presented with a list of all questions contained in the pool.
- Place checks in the boxes of all questions you want to include in your test, then click on “Submit”.
- You will be returned to the test canvas page. At this point you can repeat the process above to add more questions to the test using as many pools as you like. (Choose a pool and click on “Go”). Or you can enter new questions without using the test pool (see next step).
- Choose a question type. Click on “Go”.
Note: You can modify creation settings by clicking on “Creation settings”. You must choose these options before creating any questions in order for the options to be applied. Options you can choose include:
Provide feedback for individual answers Add images, files, and URL’s to questions Add images and files to answers Add categories and keywords to questions
- Enter the text of the question, and the answer. There are many types of questions, the method of defining each type is different but fairly self explanatory. Not all types of questions can be automatically graded (example, essay). If the question is of the type that can be automatically graded be sure to indicate the correct answer so Blackboard can grade the question. If you fail to enter a correct answer it will be marked incorrect for the student.
- You have the option in most cases to enter text that the student will see when they answer a question correctly (“Correct Response” text block) or if they answer the question incorrectly (“Incorrect Response” text block).
- Click on submit.
- You will be shown a list of all of the questions you have created so far. Click on “Add Question Here” where you want the next question to appear or “Go” to add the question at the bottom of the list.
- Complete the rest of the questions in the same manner.
- When you have finished adding questions click on “ok” You will be returned to the test manager. Click on “Ok” to return to the Control Panel.