Course Abstract Details
CRIM-203, Written Communications For Police
CRIM-203, Written Communications for Police, provides instruction and practice in the preparation of administrative and operational police reports. Special emphasis will be placed on note taking and the accurate development of documents relating to criminal investigations. Prerequisite: CRIM-101 and ENGL-101 or ENGL-103. Three hours lecture each week. Three credits. Three billable hours.
Course Objectives and Grading Information
1. Explain the role of written communications in police work.
2. Describe events in a concise, well-organized narrative.
3. Explain the purpose of taking notes.
4. Demonstrate proper note taking procedures.
5. Conduct research in preparation of interviewing, listening and observing persons and activities.
6. Identify significant factors necessary for specific investigative reports.
The abbreviations in parentheses represent Learning Goals which have been identified for this course and program of study: