Course Abstract Details
FREN-201, Intermediate French 1
FREN-201, Intermediate French, is a continuation of FREN-102. It includes review and expansion of the four language skills as well as grammar. Writing and speaking will be improved through composition and class discussions of cultural/contemporary issues. The course is conducted in French. Prerequisite: exemption/completion of FREN-102; two years of high school French will meet the prerequisite with an academic advisor's approval. Three hours lecture each week. Three credits. Three billable hours. DIVERSITY/WORLD VIEW.
Course Objectives and Grading Information
MAJOR COURSE OBJECTIVES: Upon completion of this course students will be able to:
1. communicate at ease with a French speaker using the present, pass? compose plus que parfait, future, conditional and subjunctive tenses (PG 1-4, GE 1).
2. gain an appreciation for French culture with emphasis on French history and French art (PG 5, GE 6)
3. read short stories and selections from "Paris Match" and "Journal Fran?ais" with good comprehension (PG 1, GE 6)
4. write paragraphs using the new grammar acquired in the course (PG 2, GE 1)
5. use the language lab to increase comprehension of various francophone speaking people (PG 3-5, GE 6)
6. be able to read selections from the reader and comprehend and discuss them in French (PG 1,4, GE 1, 2, 6)
7. appreciate some French poetry, films, and music (PG 5, GE 6).
8. share French culture and realia with the class (PG 4, GE 1, 6).
9. be able to search the internet and reach articles from, French newspapers such as LeMonde and LeFigaro (PG 1, GE 4, 6).
10. visit France or a francophone country one day and speak the language and appreciate the culture (PG 5, GE 6).
The abbreviations in parentheses represent Learning Goals which have been identified for this course and program of study: