Course Abstract Details
SPAN-201, Intermediate Spanish 1
SPAN-201, Intermediate Spanish 1, is a continuation of SPAN-102. It includes review and expansion of the four language skills as well as grammar. Writing and speaking will be improved through composition and class, discussions of cultural/contemporary issues. The course is conducted in Spanish. Prerequisite: exemption/completion of SPAN-102; two years of high school Spanish will meet the prerequisite with an academic advisor's approval. Three hours lecture each week. Three credits. Three billable hours. DIVERSITY/WORLD VIEW. Offered Fall, Spring, and Summer terms.
Course Objectives and Grading Information
MAJOR COURSE OBJECTIVES: Upon completion of this course students will be able to:
1. increase their awareness, knowledge and understanding of the culture of the Spanish-speaking people (PG 1, PG 5, GE 2, GE 6).
2. be able to communicate in Spanish in exchanging meaningful dialogue, using grammatical structures and vocabulary to attain better oral proficiency (PG 3, PG 4, GE 1, GE 2).
3. refine accuracy of pronunciation skills using the Spanish language (PG 4, GE 1).
4. be able to read and comprehend cultural reading selections appropriate to the intermediate level. (PG 1, PG 5, GE 2, GE 6).
5. be able to write comprehensive paragraphs and descriptions on given topics demonstrating increased improvement in writing ability (PG 2, GE 1).
The abbreviations in parentheses represent Learning Goals which have been identified for this course and program of study: