Motor Coach Operator
Motor Coach drivers often drive buses that take people on chartered trips or sightseeing tours. Many times, their passengers are on vacation. These drivers normally stay with the group for the duration of their trip, and sometimes have long periods of downtime while they wait for the passengers to conclude their tour. Drivers may travel at night, on holidays and weekends.
- Valid Maryland Driver’s License
- Department of Transportation (DOT) Medical Examiner’s Certificate (required for Learner’s Permit)
- Drug screening (included in cost of course)
- CDL Learner’s Permit with the following endorsements:
- Air Brakes, General Knowledge, “P” (Passenger)
Information Unique to the Training
This training is offered in partnership with the Community College of Baltimore County (CCBC). Classroom training is held in Hunt Valley; range training is held in Pasadena.
To register, you must present the following:
- valid Maryland Driver’s License
- current copy of your MVA driving record
- DOT Medical Examiner’s Certificate
- current Maryland CDL Learner’s Permit with CDL-B endorsements (see Special Requirements above. For information on obtaining a Learner’s Permit, call the MVA).
Once registered, you will be contacted by CCBC's Commercial Vehicle Training Program staff to set up an interview, and schedule orientation and a drug screening prior to classes starting.
Courses to Complete
- Core Courses
VOC-534 CDL-B for Hospitality and Tourism
You must meet prerequisites before registering (see above).
Approximate Number of Hours
CDL-B: 2.6 weeks
- Hospitality classroom: three days
- CDL-B classroom: one day
- Range and road driving: nine days
Approximate Training Cost*
CDL-B: $2,395 (plus applicable fees)
Upon successful completion of this training and the MVA written and driving tests administered during class, a MD CDL-B license and a “Certified Guest Service Professional” (CGSP) credential from the American Hotel and Lodging Association (AHLA) are awarded.
Related Continuing Education Courses
VOC-291 CDL Learner’s Permit Preparation Course (28 hours)
Estimated Hourly Wage**
$13 Hour Charter Bus Industry
*Unless noted, cost does not include any required textbooks and related materials, applicable licensing fees, background check fees, testing fees or prerequisite courses.
**Wages are based on data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics and are estimates only.