Academic Advising

Academic Advising is required for new students and optional for current and returning students.

New students must complete an online pre-advising session so they are prepared to navigate through their first Carroll term and develop an academic plan.

Beyond a student's first Carroll term, advisers are available on a walk-in basis in the Advising and Transfer Center for assistance with the registration process, transfer planning, declaring a major and more.


Academic Program Templates

Students looking for a viable pathway towards and associate degree should view our Academic Program Plan Templates. These templates are major specific and present an ideal scenario for a full-time college-ready student. The plans will extend over more terms when attending Carroll as a part-time student.

Transitional coursework and, in some cases, certain higher level math and science prerequisites must be taken prior to the courses outlined in the the templates. For a customized academic plan, consult with an Academic Adviser.


Advising for Academic Difficulty

Academic Advising also helps students experiencing academic difficulty. Students on academic probation must see their assigned probation adviser prior to registering, for course planning and for classroom success tips.

Students who are struggling and have been reported by their instructor are contacted by Academic Advisers. Early intervention is key, and faculty as well as advisers work with students in getting them on track to success.


Other Services

Although the Advising and Transfer Center does not offer professional counseling to students  experiencing emotional distress, advisers meet to discuss their situations, and direct them accordingly including, if appropriate, referring them to the Dean of Students, Dr. Michael Kiphart, or the Integrity and Judicial Affairs Advocate, Joel Hoskowitz.

Either party has the authority to make referrals for outside support through the Student Assistance Program (SAP), which provides counseling for students in crisis.

Students experiencing depression, anxiety or any other condition brought on by psychological distress should visit the Advising and Transfer Center office in A102 or Dr. Michael Kiphart or Joel Hoskowitz in A117. 



Bookmark, Share, or Email this page Get Help