Advising and Transfer FAQ



Placement Testing and the Online Pre-Advising Session


Courses, Programs and Graduation


Applying Credits




Contact Us


Q. What should I do to enroll at Carroll?
The first step is to submit an online enrollment application and/or visit the Admissions Office.

If you have taken credit courses at another institution, your next step is to contact all your prior schools and request official transcripts be sent to Carroll. Refer to our Start Taking Credit Classes page for more details.


Q. When should I register for classes?
You should register as soon as you are able. Registration dates are published in the Credit Class Schedule for Summer/Fall and Winter/Spring Terms. For the best course selection, register early.


Q. When is the latest I can register at the college?
The college accepts registrations up through the first day of class; however, the sooner you register, the better the selection.


Q. Can I register online?
Once you submit an enrollment application, you will receive an email with your username, temporary pin and instructions for logging into WebAdvisor. It is in your best interest to go through the initial login process prior to visiting with an adviser, so you are prepared to register for courses online. 

If you are a first term student, you are required to meet with an adviser before registering. The college provides online registration access as soon as your courses have been approved. 

See the WebAdvisor Tutorial for a guide to registering online.


Q. Can I drop and add courses after the term begins? 
Once classes start, there is a short add/drop period where you can drop a course and receive a 100 percent refund. After that initial period, you have the option to withdraw from a course with a "W" grade until a designated date. This date falls about eight weeks into the term. There is no refund after the initial drop/add period. For additional details, refer to the refund policy.


Q. What are placement tests?
Before you can register for classes, we need to assess your knowledge in three major areas - math, reading and writing - using placement tests. For more information on how to prepare and schedule for placement tests, or for placement test exemptions, refer to the placement testing page.


Q. What is the Online Pre-Advising Session?
After you receive your placement test results, you are required to complete the Online Pre-Advising Session. The pre-advising session is an online tutorial designed to prepare you for your first registration at Carroll. If you have a transcript documenting the successful completion of at least twelve academic credits (four courses), you are not required to complete the Online Pre-Advising Session.


Q. How do I choose a major?
The Director of Career Development, Barbara Gregory, can help you pick a major, choose a prospective career path and find a job. Arrange an appointment by emailing or calling 410-386-8523.


Q. How do I change my major?
If you want to change your major, visit the Advising and Transfer Center and meet with an adviser to complete a change of curriculum form.


Q. What is General Education?
General Education courses are part of a "well-rounded, liberal arts education" - Math, English, Arts and Humanities, etc. You need to take them regardless of your declared major. They easily transfer to four-year institutions.

All associate degree seeking students are also required to complete a three credit, Diversity/World View designated requirement. There are many general education courses that also meet the Diversity/World View designated requirement, so it should be easy for students to incorporate this requirement within their general education choices.


Q. How do I know what courses to take?
Use WebAdvisor to check your Degree Audit, which is your personalized program plan. If you are still unsure, the Academic Advisers in the Advising and Transfer Center are available to assist you.


Q. How can I find my major's graduation requirements?
Graduation requirements are in the college catalog. To verify your progress and completion of your degree program requirements, log on to WebAdvisor and use the Degree Audit feature. Your degree audit lists the classes you have completed and still need to complete towards your current program of study.


Q. Are there any courses I must take that will not count towards my degree?
Depending on the results of your placement tests, you may be required to take transitional courses. These zero credit courses do not count towards your degree requirements or your grade point average, but they are critical components of your college readiness as they help you build a solid academic foundation in English, reading and math.


Q. How do I apply for graduation?
Visit the Advising and Transfer Center (A102) to meet with an academic adviser and complete a graduation application. You should apply for graduation during your last term at Carroll.


Q. What should I do if I have taken courses at another college that I would like applied to my degree at Carroll?
We will evaluate any class(es) you have taken at other institutions for their compatibility with Carroll's curriculum. For your class(es) to be evaluated, you need to contact your previous schools and have official transcripts sent to Carroll. After we have received transcripts from all your previous institutions, your transcripts are evaluated and the courses are added to your Carroll record.


Q. If I haven't taken courses for several terms, do the credits I previously earned count towards my degree?
Absolutely! The exception is in the case of nursing students, who may need to retake science courses that have been taken five years ago or longer.


Q. How do I know what courses from Carroll will transfer to a four-year college or university?
The state computerized articulation system, ARTSYS, outlines course requirements at the community colleges for transfer programs at public and private four-year colleges throughout Maryland. If you are transferring out-of-state, it is best to contact the admissions office at your transfer destination to obtain advising on course selection at Carroll. Refer to the Transferring from Carroll page for more information.


Q. What are billable hours?
Billable hours are the number of hours you are in class per week. Your tuition is calculated using billable hours.


Q. How many credits do I need to be full-time?
You need 12 billable hours to be considered full-time.


Q. How do I apply for Financial Aid?
The deadlines for federal aid are early, so contact the Financial Aid office at 410-386-8437 as soon as possible.


Q. What is the FACTS plan?
The FACTS plan is a deferred payment plan set up through the Business Office that allows you to pay for your courses in monthly installments. To learn more about how to enroll in this plan, refer to the FACTS Deferred Payment Plan for details.


Q. What can I do if I am experiencing difficulty in my courses?
First seek your professor's advice regarding the difficulty you are experiencing. You should also meet with an adviser to discuss the issues you are experiencing. Advisers can direct you to the appropriate resources.

Free tutoring is available for various academic areas in the Academic Center (L288). Also, consider enrolling in COL 100 - College Success. College Success provides you with the necessary tools to be successful in the classroom and in your future educational pursuits. 

If your difficulty is putting your grade in jeopardy, we recommend you withdraw from the course in the time frame allotted.


Q. Do I need an appointment to see an adviser?
Advisers are available on a walk-in basis, so no appointments are necessary for new students.


Q. What are your office hours?
The Admissions Office and the Advising and Transfer Center are open Monday - Thursday 8:30 a.m. - 7 p.m., and Friday 9:30 a.m. - 4 p.m.



Bookmark, Share, or Email this page Get Help