The Role of Parents
Parents “To Do” List: suggestions for supporting your student as he/she attends college.
- Check to see if your student has met with an advisor or the career counselor to formulate a plan for his/her education, including choice of major and transfer plans.
- Encourage your student to get involved on campus through student clubs, organizations and activities.
- Talk with your student about classes, workload and possible academic problems that may arise and how to deal with them.
- Remember that college should be viewed as a full time job, and that your student may have to adjust work, family and other responsibilities to compensate for this new commitment.
- Know about important semester dates like pre-registration, withdrawal deadlines, mid-term and final exams, and be prepared to support your student accordingly.
- Encourage your student to visit the Financial Aid Office to get information and meet deadlines for applications. Look for college scholarship opportunities at the beginning of the semester, and submit your completed FAFSA form by March 1 for full eligibility to state and federal sources of aid.
Review Student Privacy through FERPA for important information about privacy and student records.