2021 Signature Assignment Showcase
In Fall 2019, Carroll Community College adopted Signature Assignments in all of its General Education courses. This common assignment is an assessment, task or project specifically adopted or created to measure at least four of the college’s eight General Education goals.
Beyond serving as a way to assess student learning outcomes, signature assignments foster comprehensive and engaged student learning. According to the Association of American Colleges and Universities, signature assignments are a key means by which students integrate learning and reflection across a program of study. Signature assignments elicit a student’s best work, moving them beyond memorization to exploration of complex issues with multiple perspectives and solutions, and also allow students to practice skills employers have long prioritized such as critical thinking, problem solving, creativity, research and writing. Beyond these core skills, a comprehensive signature assignment affords students an opportunity to integrate and apply learning and engage in significant writing competencies that are also of value to executives and hiring managers.
Carroll’s 2021 virtual Signature Assignment Showcase publicly presents completed signature assignments and celebrates student learning. Students who produced exemplary signature assignments were invited by the course faculty to participate.
- Communicate ideas in written, oral and other modes as appropriate to a situation and audience.
- Apply quantitative and scientific reasoning skills relevant to a field of study.
- Employ various thinking strategies to develop well-reasoned judgments.
- Evaluate sources of information for accuracy, relevance and reliability.
- Use technology tools to manage, integrate and evaluate digital information.
- Explore issues through creative, interdisciplinary and innovative approaches.
- Cultivate intellectual and ethical practices that promote the wellness of self, community and environment.
- Identify their roles as global citizens in a multicultural country and world.