Adjunct Faculty – Pilates
This position is placed on the credit adjunct faculty pay scale.
Department: Health and Exercise Science
Pay Grade: Credit Adjunct Faculty Scale
FLSA Status: Exempt
The Health and Exercise Science program seeks a certified Pilates instructor to teach a one-credit Pilates course on Monday and Wednesday, 9:30 – 10:30 AM from August 28 – December 20, 2023.
Residency restrictions apply. If an offer of employment is offered and accepted, the candidate must be a resident of DC, VA, WV, MD, DE or PA on the date employment commences. In addition, the person must be willing to come to campus to sign paperwork for identity verification.
Adjunct faculty are assigned primarily teaching duties. Actual hours worked on- and off-campus in any given week can vary according to grading, class preparation requirements, professional development activities, and office hours. Adjunct faculty member responsibilities are primarily to teach students, assess learning, and engage in professional development. Adjunct Faculty report to either the Division Chair or Program Director.
The Health and Exercise Science program seeks a certified Pilates instructor to teach a one-credit Pilates course on Monday and Wednesday, 9:30 – 10:30 AM from August 28 – December 20, 2023. This position reports to the Program Director, Health and Exercise Science.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Teach no more than the equivalent of 24-teaching load hours per year (per measurement period under the ACA)
- Hold classes as scheduled
- Design assignments and/or give required assignments to measure student learning
- Provide clear and concise feedback to students in a timely manner (within two weeks)
- Check and respond to all emails within two business days
- Post the syllabus, faculty information, and a welcome announcement for Preview Week and maintain a current gradebook in the Learning Management System
- Hold required office hours
- Assist students and direct them to appropriate resources
- Contribute to student retention and completion initiatives
- Participate in outcomes assessment and respond to data
- Collaborate with student support offices and professionals
- Report grades and reconcile incomplete grades as necessary
- Engage in professional development including departmental orientation
- Attend required meetings and complete mandatory trainings
- Adapt to emerging challenges and demands to serve the college and its students
- Follow policies as outlined in the Faculty Handbook
- Perform other duties as assigned
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS TO PERFORM WORK:
- Pilates certification
- Prior group fitness teaching experience
- Ability to use technology in teaching
- Must be positive, cooperative, and supportive
This work is normally sedentary work which requires exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and or negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull, or otherwise move objects. Additionally, the following physical abilities are required:
- Hear/talk/communicate – Must be able to exchange information and communicate
- Visual Acuity/ability to perceive or detect surroundings
- Mental acuity – Able to focus, concentrate, understand and convey subject matter
- Repetitive motion (i.e. keyboarding)
- Stand/sit/walk/able to move or traverse from one area to another
College campus, direct contact with students, staff, faculty and the general public in classrooms, common areas, offices, and campus environments. Use of safe workplace practices with office equipment; computers for data entry and word processing; avoidance of trips and falls; observance of fire and building safety regulations; observance of College polices and traffic laws when/if driving a College vehicle.
Carroll Community College has the right to revise this position description at any time, and this position description does not represent in any way a contract of employment.
Directions to Apply
Interested applicants must submit a cover letter and resume emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
An official transcript will be required upon hiring.
This position is open until filled.
To qualify for employment, selected candidates must
- successfully complete a criminal background check (for designated positions)
- be able to work on campus as of the first day of employment
- be a resident of DE, MD, PA, VA, WV, or DC as of the first day of employment
- be currently authorized to work in the US, as the College does not offer Visa sponsorships
- complete an employment application upon request, prior to progressing through the initial interview process
Carroll Community College is committed to creating a diverse, equitable and inclusive environment. Carroll Community College is committed to Equal Opportunity Employment.