Graduation Guidelines

Carroll's president presides over an annual commencement ceremony in May. Students graduating with degrees in August, December and May may participate, and their family and friends are invited to attend. For information about the Ceremony, please contact the Registrar's Office, 410-386-8440. The following are guidelines for graduating from Carroll.


Applying to Graduate

Upon registering for the final Carroll term, students must meet with an adviser to complete a graduation audit and apply for graduation. Students must apply to graduate whether or not they participate in the commencement ceremony. Students should periodically check-in with Advising, and apply early to assure that the appropriate courses are completed to meet graduation and transfer goals.

Graduation Application Deadlines

  • March 1 - graduating in May and participating in May graduation ceremony
  • May 15 - graduating in May and not participating in the May graduation ceremony
  • Aug. 7 - graduating in August
  • Dec. 11 - graduating in December


Graduating with Honors

Students who qualify for the Associate of Arts, Associate of Fine Arts, Associate of Sciences, Associate of Applied Sciences, Associate of Science in Engineering, or Associate of Arts in Teaching degrees and have a cumulative grade point average equivalent to 3.500 or higher at the end of the preceding Winter term are recognized at the commencement ceremony as graduating with honors during the ceremony. These honor students wear a gold cord for the ceremony to signify their achievement.

Alpha Beta Gamma (Business), Alpha Delta Nu (Nursing), Delta Alpha Pi (students with disabilities), Phi Theta Kappa (two-year college honors), Psi Beta (psychology), Hill Scholars, and Leadership Challenge students wear special regalia during the commencement ceremony. These students need to obtain honor garb from the honor society advisor.

When diplomas are issued, official formal honors are noted on the diploma, based on cumulative Carroll credits, as follows:

  • 3.500 to 3.749 graduate Cum Laude (with honors)
  • 3.750 to 3.899 graduate Magna Cum Laude (with high honors)
  • 3.900 to 4.000 graduate Summa Cum Laude (with highest honors)


Transferring Back to Graduate

Students, who transfer prior to completing an associate degree, may transfer appropriate credits back to Carroll to complete their Carroll degree. Students in this situation must have taken at least 15 Carroll credits.

To transfer credits back to Carroll, send an official transcript to the Records Office and see an adviser in A102 to complete a graduation application before the graduation application deadline.

The University System of Maryland (USM) is working to facilitate reverse transfer. The Carroll transcript request form allows students to plan for reverse transfer by authorizing Carroll to request a transcript from a USM institution, in a future term, and apply to graduate from Carroll during the transfer process.

View the transcript request form or contact the Advising and Transfer Center at 410-386-8435 or at for information about reverse transfer.

Bookmark, Share, or Email this page Get Help