PTA Program - Ranking Procedures
If there are more than 24 qualified applicants to the Physical Therapist Assistant (PTA) program, a points based ranking procedure is used. The admission process awards points to students who complete Carroll's application process and the PTA application process.
Students with the highest point totals are accepted conditionally into the clinical portion and are informed by May 15.
If any of the original accepted students decline their seats in the program or fail to meet their spring or summer course requirements, the next eligible student on the waiting list is notified.
Once grades have been posted in May or after summer sessions, official transcripts must be submitted to the PTA Program. Any student, who drops a course or fails to earn a “C” or better, is not admitted.
Transfer courses with grades are included and are assigned quality points based on the letter grade. Transfer credits earned without a letter grade (CLEP, AP, military evaluation, Challenge examination) are not assigned quality points.
The program accepts twenty four students each year.
Students having equal point totals based on the points criteria are ranked by overall GPA.
- Completion of Human Anatomy and Physiology 1 and Human Anatomy and Physiology 2 (4 points for A, 3 points for B and 2 points for C).
- One point is awarded for being a Carroll county resident or from a community college that is a member of the Mid-Maryland Consortium.
- Students with at least 75 documented hours receive 2 points, 76-90 receive 3 points, and over 90 hours receive 4 points.
- Students having a letter from their employer (on letterhead) verifying they have been a PT tech or aide for at least 6 months receive 2 points.
- Students who have completed Human Anatomy and Physiology 1 and Human Anatomy and Physiology 2 by the end of the spring semester of the year they wish to enter the program receive 1 point. Students must submit a copy of their spring schedule if a course is in progress.
- Students who will have completed all non-PTA coursework by the beginning of the program receive 2 points. Students must submit a copy of their spring course schedule and/or summer registration with their application.
- Students who were qualified to enter the program the previous year receive 1 point.