It is the intent of Carroll Community College to comply with all laws dealing with the privacy of information and data collected from you. The College takes data security and the privacy of your personal information very seriously. Maryland law mandates that State agencies shall not create personal records unless the need for the information is clearly established and that personal records shall be relevant to the purposes for which they are collected, be accurate and current, and not be obtained by fraudulent means. State officials who request personal data from citizens must notify the citizens regarding the purposes for which the information is collected; consequences to the citizen for refusing to provide the personal information; the citizen’s right to inspect and correct personal records; whether the information is generally available for public inspection; and whether the information is made available to other entities. Carroll Community College is committed to providing you with websites over which you may securely and confidently transact business.
The College collects information about students via various means, including enrollment applications, Starfish intake questionnaire, and FAFSA download. We share limited information with our vendors to conduct business (Canvas, Starfish, National Student Loan Data System, National Clearing House) or to comply with State and Federal reporting requirements. Minimal necessary information is shared with vendors. Military agencies are authorized by Federal law to receive additional information, including age, address, and telephone number.
Responses to inquiries about students (references, insurance companies, public information act inquires, etc.) will comply with Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) and will only be answered with directory information (name, dates of attendance, major field of study, degrees and awards received, participation in College-recognized activities and intramural sports, enrollment status (full or part-time), and home town) unless you provide written authorization to release additional information. Students that wish to have directory information withheld should contact the registrar (email@example.com) each term.
This page informs you of Carroll Community College’s (“us”, “we”, or “our”) policies regarding the collection, use and disclosure of personal data and the choices you have associated with that data:
- Through our Carroll Community College website and affiliated pages where you may access this Privacy Notice (the “Websites”),
- Through all College applications including but not limited to email, Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) system, Learning Management System (LMS), Customer Relationship Management (CRM) system (the “Services“).
- Through the software applications made available by us for use on or through computers and mobile devices (the “Apps”),
- Through our social media pages and applications made available by us for use on or through computers or mobile devices (collectively, our “Social Media Pages”)
- Through offline activities as detailed in this Notice
We use your data to provide and improve the Websites, Services, Apps or Social Media Pages. By using the Websites, Services, Apps or Social Media Pages, you agree to the collection and use of information in accordance with this notice.
Carroll Community College operates websites under the domain carrollcc.edu (https://*.carrollcc.edu).
- Personal Data
Personal Data means data about a living individual who can be identified from those data (or from those and other information either in our possession or likely to come into our possession).
- Usage Data
Usage Data is data collected automatically either generated using the Websites, Services, Apps or Social Media Pages or from the website infrastructure itself (for example, the duration of a page visit).
Cookies are small files stored on your device (computer or mobile device).
- Data Controller
Data Controller means the natural or legal person who (either alone or jointly or in common with other persons) determines the purposes for which and the way any personal information are, or are to be, processed.
For this Privacy Notice, we are a Data Controller of your Personal Data.
- Data Processors (or Service Providers)
Data Processor (or Service Provider) means any natural or legal person who processes the data on behalf of the Data Controller.
We may use the services of various Service Providers to process your data more effectively.
- Data Subject (or User)
Data Subject is any individual who is using our website and is the subject of Personal Data.
Information Collection and Use
We collect several different types of information for various purposes to provide and improve our service to you.
Types of Data Collected
When you access or use the Websites, Services, Apps or Social Media Pages, we may collect and process the following types of information from you:
We may ask you to provide us with certain personally identifiable information that can be used to contact or identify you (“Personal Data”). Personally identifiable information may include, but is not limited to:
- Email address
- First name and last name
- Phone number
- Address, State, Province, ZIP/Postal code, City
- Student ID Number
- Social Security Number
- Driver’s License Number
- Cookies and Usage Data
We may also collect information on how the Websites, Services, Apps or Social media Pages are accessed and used (“Usage Data”). This Usage Data may include information such as your computer’s Internet Protocol address (e.g. IP address), browser type, browser version, the pages of our website that you visit, the time and date of your visit, the time spent on those pages, unique device identifiers and other diagnostic data.
Tracking & Cookies Data
Cookies are files with a small amount of data which may include an anonymous unique identifier. Cookies are sent to your browser from a website and stored on your device. Other tracking technologies are also used such as beacons, tags, and scripts to collect and track information and to improve and analyze our Service.
You can instruct your browser to refuse all cookies or to indicate when a cookie is being sent. However, if you do not accept cookies, you may not be able to use some portions of our Websites and Services.
Use of Data
Carroll Community College uses the collected data from the Websites, Services, Apps or Social Media Pages for various purposes:
- To provide and maintain the Websites, Services, Apps or Social Media Pages
- To notify you about changes
- To allow you to participate in interactive features when you choose to do so
- To provide customer support
- To gather analysis or valuable information for improvement
- To monitor the usage of our Websites, Services, Apps or Social Media Pages
- To detect, prevent and address technical issues
- To provide you with news, special offers and general information about services and events which we offer that are similar to those that you have already purchased or inquired about unless you have opted not to receive such information
- To best serve audiences by optimizing and personalizing visitor experiences in both digital and physical spaces
- To manage a visitor relationship with the university, foster/promote further communications, gauge communication effectiveness, gain insights into user behavior and preferences, and track interests
- To conduct market research
Legal Basis for Processing Personal Data Under the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)
If you are from the European Economic Area (EEA), Carroll Community College’s legal basis for collecting and using the personal information described in this Privacy Notice depends on the Personal Data we collect and the specific context in which we collect it.
Carroll Community College may process your Personal Data because:
- We need to perform a contract with you
- You have given us permission to do so
- The processing is in our legitimate interests and it is not overridden by your rights
- For payment processing purposes
- To comply with the law
Retention of Data
Carroll Community College will retain your Personal Data only for as long as is necessary for the purposes set out in this Privacy Notice. We will retain and use your Personal Data to the extent necessary to comply with our legal obligations (for example, if we are required to retain your data to comply with applicable laws), resolve disputes and enforce our legal agreements and policies.
Carroll Community College will also retain Usage Data for internal analysis purposes. Usage Data is generally retained for a shorter period of time, except when this data is used to strengthen the security or to improve the functionality of our Websites, Services, Apps or Social Media Pages, or we are legally obligated to retain this data for longer periods.
Transfer of Data
Your information, including Personal Data, may be transferred to — and maintained on — computers located outside of your state, province, country, or other governmental jurisdiction where the data protection laws may differ from those of your jurisdiction.
If you are located outside United States and choose to provide information to us, please note that we transfer the data, including Personal Data, to the United States and process it there.
Your consent to this Privacy Notice followed by your submission of such information represents your agreement to that transfer.
Carroll Community College will take all the steps reasonably necessary to ensure that your data is treated securely and in accordance with this Privacy Notice and no transfer of your Personal Data will take place to an organization or a country unless there are adequate controls in place including the security of your data and other personal information.
Disclosure for Law Enforcement
Under certain circumstances, Carroll Community College may be required to disclose your Personal Data if required to do so by law or in response to valid requests by public authorities (e.g. a court or a government agency).
Carroll Community College may disclose your Personal Data in the good faith belief that such action is necessary:
- To comply with a legal obligation
- To protect and defend the rights or property of Carroll Community College
- To prevent or investigate possible wrongdoing in connection with the Service
- To protect the personal safety of users of the Websites, Services, Apps or Social Media Pages or the public
- To protect against legal liability
Security of Data
The security of your data is important to us but remember that no method of transmission over the Internet or method of electronic storage is 100% secure. While we strive to use commercially acceptable means to protect your Personal Data, we cannot guarantee its absolute security.
Our Policy on “do Not Track” Signals Under the California Online Protection Act (CALOPPA)
We do not support Do Not Track (“DNT”). Do Not Track is a preference you can set in your web browser to inform websites that you do not want to be tracked.
You can enable or disable Do Not Track by visiting the Preferences or Settings page of your web browser.
Your Data Protection Rights Under the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)
If you are a resident of the European Economic Area (EEA), you have certain data protection rights. Carroll Community College aims to take reasonable steps to allow you to correct, amend, delete or limit the use of your Personal Data.
If you wish to be informed about what Personal Data we hold about you and if you want it to be removed from our systems, please contact us.
In certain circumstances, you have the following data protection rights:
- The right to access, update or delete the information we have on you. Please contact us to assist you.
- The right of rectification. You have the right to have your information rectified if that information is inaccurate or incomplete.
- The right to object. You have the right to object to our processing of your Personal Data.
- The right of restriction. You have the right to request that we restrict the processing of your personal information.
- The right to data portability. You have the right to be provided with a copy of the information we have on you in a structured, machine-readable, and commonly used format.
- The right to withdraw consent. You also have the right to withdraw your consent at any time where Carroll Community College relied on your consent to process your personal information.
Please note that we may ask you to verify your identity before responding to such requests.
You have the right to complain to a Data Protection Authority about our collection and use of your Personal Data. For more information, please contact your local data protection authority in the European Economic Area (EEA).
We may employ third-party companies and individuals to facilitate our service (“Service Providers”), provide the service on our behalf, perform website-related services, or assist us in analyzing how our Websites, Services, Apps or Social Media Pages are used.
Some of our Sites engage in online interest-based advertising to enhance your experience and show you advertisements that might interest you. Like many organizations, we and our advertising partners display tailored interest-based advertising using information you make available to us when you interact with our Sites. Interest-based ads, also sometimes referred to as personalized or targeted ads, are displayed to you based on information from activities such as searching on our Sites or visiting websites that contain our content or ads. We do this using a variety of digital marketing networks and ad exchanges, and we use a range of advertising technologies like web beacons, pixels, ad tags, cookies, and mobile identifiers.
Visit Your Ad Choices or Your Online Choices to learn more about interest-based ads or to opt-out of receiving third-party interest based ads. Please note that if you opt-out of interest-based advertising, you will still see advertisements – they will just not be tailored to your interests. Also note that deleting browser cookies can remove the cookie preferences you have made, so you may need to opt-out again in the future.
We may use third-party Service Providers to monitor and analyze the use of our Service.
We may provide paid products and/or services within the Service. In that case, we use third-party services for payment processing (e.g. payment processors).
Links to Other Sites
We have no control over and assume no responsibility for the content, privacy policies or practices of any third-party sites or services.
Changes to This Privacy Notice
We may update our Privacy Notice from time to time. We will notify you of any changes by posting the new Privacy Notice on this page.
You are advised to review this Privacy Notice periodically for any changes. Changes to this Privacy Notice are effective when they are posted on this page.
If you have any questions about this Privacy Notice, please contact us:
By email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Updated – 9/2/20 pdavis (reviewed by Risk Management and County attorney; endorsed by IT Security Committee and TAG)