Course Abstract Details
BUAD-210, Culture and Diversity in the Workplace
BUAD-210, Culture and Diversity in the Workplace, is an interactive course that examines the challenges and opportunities of diversity. The course will begin with an introduction to diversity, as well as some of the views and myths associated with diversity. Students will explore cross-cultural communication, building and sustaining multi-cultural work teams, and the range of cultural behaviors and expectations. Students will also look at ways that diversity can be integrated into an organization through the use of corporate culture, diversity audits and programs, recruitment, and reward systems. The course will also focus on cultural awareness and understanding on both a personal and professional level. Prerequisite: exemption/completion of READ-099. Three hours lecture each week. Three credits. Three billable hours. DIVERSITY/WORLD VIEW.
Course Objectives and Grading Information
Major Course Objectives: Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
1. Explain the various dimensions of diversity, as well as myths associated with diversity.
2. Identify the demographic trends and projections that will lead to greater diversity in the workforce in the United States and the world.
3. Examine the complex layers of diversity, including one?s own cultural lens through which they view the world. (GE GOAL 6)
4. Describe the challenges created by diversity and the social and personal barriers to successfully dealing with diversity. (GE GOAL 7)
5. Identify the range of cultural behaviors and expectations that exist and the need for awareness and sensitivity in regard to stereotypes, prejudice, ethnocentrism.
6. Explain how diversity influences organizational communication, work teams, corporate culture, performance evaluations, recruitment, and the overall management of employees.
7. Describe ways to integrate diversity into an organization, such as shaping organizational culture, implementing diversity programs, and conducting diversity audits.
8. Identify laws and recent legislative decisions on Affirmative Action and Equal Employment Opportunity.
9. Communicate the results of research into the business culture of a country through an oral presentation. (BUAD PG 3, 6) (GE GOALS 1, 4)
The abbreviations in parentheses represent Learning Goals which have been identified for this course and program of study: