Course Abstract Details
THTR-125, Theatre Practicum 1
THTR-125, Theatre Practicum 1, is designed to allow students to participate in Carroll Community College's Theatre, either on stage or behind the scenes. Students will attend weekly production meetings and rehearsals, as well as participate in strike and a post-production evaluation session. Prerequisite: Permission of Theatre Discipline Coordinator. Forty five hours per credit. One-three credits. One to three billable hours.
Course Objectives and Grading Information
Course Objectives: Upon completion of each practicum, students will accomplish increasing competency, beyond speech classroom instruction, in the following areas:
1. Examine the principles and techniques of organization, style, delivery, and audience awareness that shape effective oral communication.
2. Enhance critical thinking, reading, and writing skills in the preparation of material for oral presentations.
3. Enhance critical listening skills required in the reception of others' messages, while also gaining appreciation of/tolerance for varying points of view.
4. Create informative and argumentative oral presentations that include clear theses, adequate and relevant supporting evidence through research, and clear and valid assumptions and conclusions.
5. Demonstrate their ability to use various forms of technology to support and enhance oral presentations.
6. Read a variety of quality literature resources and create meaningful, cohesive, thematic programs for presentation.
7. Develop the oral interpretation delivery skills that communicate and enhance each genre of literature.
8. In the team environment, practice techniques of interpersonal and small group communication.
10. Develop/Practice skills in leadership, negotiation, and decision-making.
11. Overcome performance anxiety and gain overall confidence.
The abbreviations in parentheses represent Learning Goals which have been identified for this course and program of study: