Social Sciences

  • Social Sciences Area of Study

  • If you are interested in people, relationships, diversity or human behavior, you may find one of the pathways in Aging Studies, Political Science or Criminal Justice to be the perfect fit. Carroll also offers pathways in Psychology, Sociology and Social Work.

  • Pathways

  • Career Information

    Persons majoring in Social Sciences see themselves as wanting to help others. They like to study human thinking and motivations in order to improve behaviors and situations.   Help may be through counseling, running community programs, providing direct assistance or supporting personal growth. Helpers may encourage a variety of people such as senior citizens, those with physical and emotional challenges, children, and persons with economic difficulties.   Skills needed for success include compassion, listening, interpersonal and problem solving.  Majors in this area include: psychology, social work, child-life/family studies, human services, and criminal justice.  Some careers can be started with a Bachelor’s degree; continued growth will often require a Master’s degree and possible licensure.

    Job titles include, but are not limited to:

    • Therapists
    • School Counselors
    • Social Service Program Coordinators
    • Substance Abuse Counselors
    • Activity Leaders
    • Parole Officers
    • Child Life Specialists
    • Social Workers
    • Investigators
    • Advocates

    Transfer Information

    • Guaranteed transfer with the AA degree (must be competitive for selective admissions options) to public schools in MD
    • Seamless transfer to out of state schools if you work closely with an academic advisor
    • Great merit based scholarship opportunities for high achieving community college students, at public and private schools
    • If you want to be a therapist or counselor, transfer schools may have different names/programs for very similar helping professions – Psychology, Social Work, or Human Services.  Make sure you research all your options and find the best fit for you.
    • Did you know that if you complete a bachelor’s degree in Social Work, you can often apply for advanced standing and potentially finish the Master’s in Social Work in one year of full-time study?
    • Special transfer agreements to various schools please visit Area of Study web pages for specifics

Request Information

For more information call 410-386-8430 or fill out the inquiry form below.