Disparities in African American Female Discipline
Submitted to Courtney Sargent for Introduction to Sociology (SOC-101)
My project was about the disparity in discipline of African American females compared to their white counterparts and how this problem has arisen and what we can do about it.
General Education Connections
- Communicate ideas in written, oral and other modes as appropriate to a situation and audience
- Apply quantitative and scientific reasoning skills relevant to a field of study
- Employ various thinking strategies to develop well-reasoned judgments
- Evaluate sources of information for accuracy, relevance and reliability
- Cultivate intellectual and ethical practices that promote the wellness of self, community and environment
- Identify their roles as global citizens in a multicultural country and world
I learned in this project how difficult it really is to be an African American female in our society. The sources I used were all academic journals and from databases, most of them studies that showed statistical evidence of their findings. I had to use these sources to come up with conclusions and evidence about the reasons for this disparity and to find and propose solutions to the issue. These solutions are things we need to work on as a community and as a society, not just at the educational level. Additionally, I had to communicate effectively through my paper all of my gathered information and answers to questions in an appropriate and coherent manner.
It was hard for me to answer all of the required questions in a way that made logical sense within the context of the paper, but I was able to integrate these answers in a way that sounded more professional than I had anticipated.
The topic of African American discipline disparity connects to my life because it is something that people have to deal with every day. I do not have this issue as I am white, but my friends and other people have to deal with this unfair treatment simply because of their skin color. It helped me try to find solutions to issues plaguing our society, which will continue if nothing is done about them. I can be the one who proposes these solutions and make an effort to better society.