Bilingual Registration and Orientation Assistant – Part Time
This part-time position will be placed on the College hourly rates scale, grade 6 with minimum starting salary of $18.41 per hour.
Department: Continuing Education and Training
Pay Grade: 6 (minimum hourly rate $18.41)
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
The work required for this position is cyclical and occurs during the evening hours (5:00-9:30 PM) Monday through Thursday over a several-week period four times per year (at the beginning and end of each of our 10-week sessions). Training required but will be paid.
This position provides registration and orientation support to the Adult Education ESOL program by assisting with the enrollment efforts of ESOL students, providing translation for orientation/classes, and checking in with instructors for support. This position reports to the Director, Adult Education and Literacy Services.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Communicate with ESOL students in person or remotely to assist in enrolling in ESOL classes and/or new student orientations.
- Assist students with technical support needed to connect remotely to their on-line learning classes.
- Make and track reminder calls to student orientation classes.
- Provide customer service, file maintenance, and support to faculty, staff, and students.
- Communicate with Adult Education staff regarding ESOL students.
- Proctor on-site standardized testing.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS TO PERFORM WORK:
- High school diploma or equivalent with a technical background preferred.
- Written and conversational fluency in Spanish (or other language noted here).
- Proficiency in MS Office Suite (including MS Teams) and file maintenance experience.
- Ability to use small office equipment (copy machines, multi-line telephone systems).
- Ability to use computers for data entry.
- Ability to communicate with students, to make decisions on techniques needed to get students connected via technology, and to troubleshoot different technology platforms (for example, connectivity to MS Teams via smartphones, tablets, or computers).
- Ability to work a variable schedule, of primarily evening hours, to total <29 hours per week.
- Must be positive, cooperative and supportive.
- Experience working in a student enrollment environment.
The work is normally light work which requires exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and/or negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects, including the human body. Periodically, it requires standing for longer periods of time during presentations or fairs. Additionally, the following physical abilities are required:
- Hear/talk/communicate – Must be able to exchange information and communicate
- Visual Acuity/ability to perceive or detect surroundings
- Mental acuity – Able to focus, concentrate, understand and convey subject matter
- Repetitive motion (i.e. keyboarding)
- Stand/sit/walk/able to move or traverse from one area to another
College campus, direct contact with students, staff, faculty and the general public in classrooms, common areas, offices, and campus environments. Work environment involves everyday risks or discomforts which require normal safety precautions typical of such places as office, meeting, and training rooms; use of safe work place practices with office equipment; computers for data entry and word processing; avoidance of trips and falls; observance of fire and building safety regulations and College policies.
Carroll Community College has the right to revise this position description at any time, and this position description does not represent in any way a contract of employment.
Directions to Apply
Interested applicants must submit a resume and cover letter emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
This position is open until filled.
To qualify for employment, selected candidates must
- successfully complete a criminal background check (for designated positions)
- be able to work on campus as of the first day of employment
- be a resident of DE, MD, PA, VA, WV, or DC as of the first day of employment
- be currently authorized to work in the US, as the College does not offer Visa sponsorships
- complete an employment application upon request, prior to progressing through the initial interview process
Carroll Community College is committed to creating a diverse, equitable and inclusive environment. Carroll Community College is committed to Equal Opportunity Employment.