Department: Social Sciences
Pay Grade: Credit Adjunct Faculty Scale
FLSA Status: Exempt
The Division of Social Sciences is looking for adjunct instructors to teach Introduction to Sociology. Preference given to those who can teach face-to-face on campus. Such candidates should be available to teach on MW and/or TTH during the day.
Residency restrictions apply. If an offer of employment is offered and accepted, the candidate must be a resident of DC, VA, WV, MD, DE or PA on the date employment commences. In addition, the person must be willing to come to campus to sign paperwork for identity verification.
Carroll Community College is a positive, student-centered learning environment. We provide an empowering and high-quality educational experience to help students achieve their goals.
Adjunct faculty are assigned primarily teaching duties. Actual hours worked on- and off-campus in any given week can vary according to grading, class preparation requirements, professional development activities, and office hours. Adjunct faculty member responsibilities are primarily to teach students, assess learning, and engage in professional development. Adjunct Faculty report to either the Division Chair or Program Director.
Essential Job Functions:
- Teach no more than the equivalent of 24-teaching load hours per year (per measurement period under the ACA)
- Hold classes as scheduled
- Design assignments and/or give required assignments to measure student learning
- Provide clear and concise feedback to students in a timely manner (generally within two weeks)
- Check and respond to all emails within two business days
- Post the syllabus, faculty information, and a welcome announcement for Preview Week and maintain a current gradebook in the Learning Management System
- Hold required office hours
- Assist students and direct them to appropriate resources
- Contribute to student retention and completion initiatives
- Participate in outcomes assessment and respond to data
- Collaborate with student support offices and professionals
- Report grades and reconcile incomplete grades as necessary
- Engage in professional development including departmental orientation
- Attend required meetings and complete mandatory trainings
- Adapt to emerging challenges and demands to serve the college and its students
- Follow policies as outlined in the Faculty Handbook
- Perform other duties as assigned
Minimum Requirements to Perform Work:
- Master’s Degree in a related field; PhD preferred; degree in sociology preferred
- Prior teaching experience required
- Ability to use technology in teaching, especially learning management systems (e.g. Canvas) and live video collaboration platforms (e.g. MS Teams)
- Must be positive, cooperative and supportive
This work is normally sedentary work which requires exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and or negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull, or otherwise move objects. Additionally, the following physical abilities are required:
- Hear/talk/communicate – Must be able to exchange information and communicate
- Visual Acuity/ability to perceive or detect surroundings
- Mental acuity – Able to focus, concentrate, understand and convey subject matter
- Repetitive motion (i.e. keyboarding)
- Stand/sit/walk/able to move or traverse from one area to another
College campus, direct contact with students, staff, faculty and the general public in classrooms, common areas, offices, and campus environments. Use of safe workplace practices with office equipment; computers for data entry and word processing; avoidance of trips and falls; observance of fire and building safety regulations and College policies; and observance of traffic laws when/if driving a College vehicle.
Carroll Community College has the right to revise this position description at any time, and this position description does not represent in any way a contract of employment.
Directions to Apply
Interested applicants must submit a cover letter, resume or CV, and unofficial transcript emailed to Dr. Roxanna Harlow at firstname.lastname@example.org Please be sure the following are visible on the unofficial transcript: your name, the institution’s name and the degree/date conferred.
This position is open until filled.
To qualify for employment, selected candidates must
- successfully complete a criminal background check (for designated positions)
- must be available to work on campus as of the first day of employment
- be a resident of DE, MD, PA, VA, WV or DC as of the first day of employment
- be currently authorized to work in the US, as the College does not offer Visa sponsorships
- complete an employment application upon request, prior to progressing through the initial interview process
Carroll Community College is committed to creating a diverse, equitable and inclusive environment. Carroll Community College is committed to Equal Opportunity Employment.