Library Assistant (Student Employee)
- Staff public desk and greeting patrons who enter and leave library.
- Assist patrons with general questions, check outs and returns.
- Answer phones, transfer calls, take messages and assist callers.
- Learn and master library software and policies
- Check in materials daily, including book drop, black box delivery, in-house materials, reserves, media items.
- Check out laptops, reserves, books, equipment, DVDs, periodicals.
- Renew books, properly address lost, overdue, damaged items for patrons.
- Shelve circulating materials, reference books, and periodicals.
- Fill printers and copier with paper.
- Process black box delivery and/or pull holds for black box delivery.
- Shelf reading as assigned (training provided)
- Petty cash transactions.
- Check and replenish supplies of papers and pencils at cubicles.
- Fill supplies, push in chairs, pick up trash, shelve books or library materials found around library
- Complete projects as assigned by staff.
- Master procedures and policies for printing student ID cards.
- Staff ID room or work ‘on demand’ from circ desk to provide student IDs.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- High School Diploma
- Positive attitude
- Able to multi-task
- Excellent phone etiquette
- Attention to detail
PREFERRED SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Federal Work Study (preferred)
- Outgoing, friendly personality
- Able to type 40 wpm
- Quick learner
Preferred hours: 3x week; can work around class schedule. Flex hours, when possible, to help staff ID office during peak times. Most needed availability: 11:00 am – 1:00 pm
Directions to Apply
- Candidates must complete Carroll’s online application to be considered
- Complete the online Student Employment Application
- Indicate the department(s) for which you are applying. Only one application is needed
- Complete the FAFSA for Federal Work Study Positions
- Be registered for at least six credits with a 2.0 GPA
- If eligible, your application will be forwarded to supervisors with open positions
- The application will be held for one year, July 1 to June 30
What to Expect
- Interview with the hiring supervisor for the position of interest.
- If selected, you and your supervisor must complete all federal, state and college forms. This document is obtained from your supervisor or the Human Resources webpage.
- Complete and submit all federal, state, and college employment forms. The I-9 is submitted to your supervisor and the other forms are submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Create a work schedule with your supervisor that does not conflict with your class schedule.
- When all forms are turned in you and your supervisor will be notified so a start date can be established.
Carroll Community College is committed to creating a diverse, equitable and inclusive environment. Carroll Community College is committed to Equal Opportunity Employment.