Student Tutor in Computer Information Systems (Student Employee)
- Maintain tutor-student confidential information within compliance with FERPA regulations.
- Tutor students in specific course material and integrate study skills and learning strategies to promote independent learning.
- Monitor student understanding of material covered. Require students to actively participate in each session.
- Maintain academic honesty by not doing student’s homework or take-home quizzes/exams.
- Maintain consistent weekly availability schedule of work hours in Academic Center for walk-ins and scheduled one-on-one appointments.
- Complete and submit all session related paperwork.
- Develop a understanding and knowledge of college services, support and resources such as CCC portal, WCONLINE, Word and Excel
- Facilitate learning and serve as guide and coach to assist student become successful learner.
- Adjust tutoring methods as needed to meet various student learning styles.
- complete professional development trainings offered as well as tutor program orientations.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Provide professor recommendation as to level of knowledge in tutoring content area.
- Must have completed the course in tutoring content area successfully.
- Possess ability to tutor online from off campus through Microsoft Teams.
- Skills in written and verbal communication.
- Demonstrate empathy to students having difficulties.
- Self-directed and able to work with minimal supervision.
- Maintain excellent attendance and time management skills.
- Demonstrate above-average creative problem-solving critical thinking, patience and decision-making skills.
PREFERRED SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Possess genuine interest in helping students develop study skills and acclimate to college level coursework.
- Experience in leadership.
- Knowledge of earning styles a plus.
- Exhibit appropriate and professional level of responsibility, reliability and punctuality.
- Possess a willingness to accept supervision and constructive feedback and implement recommendations for improvement as directed.
- Flexible schedule depending upon student tutor’s availability and needs of the tutor program.
Directions to Apply
- Candidates must complete Carroll’s online application to be considered
- Complete the online Student Employment Application
- Indicate the department(s) for which you are applying. Only one application is needed
- Complete the FAFSA for Federal Work Study Positions
- Be registered for at least six credits with a 2.0 GPA
- Student Workers under the age of 18 must provide a valid work permit prior to starting employment
- If eligible, your application will be forwarded to supervisors with open positions
- The application will be held for one year, July 1 to June 30
What to Expect
- Interview with the hiring supervisor for the position of interest.
- If selected, you and your supervisor must complete all federal, state and college forms. This document is obtained from your supervisor or the Human Resources webpage.
- Complete and submit all federal, state, and college employment forms. The I-9 is submitted to your supervisor and the other forms are submitted to email@example.com
- Create a work schedule with your supervisor that does not conflict with your class schedule.
- When all forms are turned in you and your supervisor will be notified so a start date can be established.
Carroll Community College is committed to creating a diverse, equitable and inclusive environment. Carroll Community College is committed to Equal Opportunity Employment.