Online Degrees & Certificates
More and more students are choosing online learning, also called distance learning, to help them meet their educational goals and earn certificates or degrees in a variety of disciplines. As many people seek flexible learning options to help balance their career goals with work and family life, Carroll’s online programs can meet this need.
Online Program Options
- Arts & Sciences
- Business Admin
- General Studies
- Management Information Systems
- Social Work
- Certified Bookkeeping
- Office Technology
- Early Childhood Education
- Teacher Education
- Computer Information Systems
- Exercise Science
- Network Security
Online/distance, hybrid and blended courses are taught by faculty who have the academic credentials and training to deliver quality courses. A variety of academic support services and technical assistance are available for all distance students. Carroll uses the learning management system (LMS) called Canvas to deliver its online courses.
Options for instructional methods:
- Remote Synchronous (section number -95): This type of course meets with an instructor via a live virtual format. The classroom will say Teams (download the Teams software via the Lynx Portal and Office 365). You will log in at a scheduled time to participate in the class. All instruction is provided remotely.
- Mixed Online (section number -55): This type of course meets with an instructor via a live virtual format (scheduled at a specific day and time/RSYNC) and the rest of the class is online (unscheduled/remote). All instruction is provided remotely.
- Online (section number -75): Online classes meet in Canvas. This is an asynchronous format, i.e. you complete class assignments based on scheduled due dates and times. Tests may be required by appointment in the Testing Center.
- Hybrid (section number -65): Hybrid classes meet in person/on campus at scheduled class times at least once a week. Check course meeting details carefully. If the remaining part of the course is meeting Remote Synchronous (scheduled/remote), you will see an entry for Remote Sync with times and the room as Teams. If the remaining part is Online (unscheduled/remote) you will see only on-campus meeting times. Tests may be required by appointment in the Testing Center.
- Lecture (section number -01, -02…): Lecture classes meet in person/on campus at scheduled class times.
- Laboratory: Some classes have a lab attached that may meet in a different format than the lecture portion of the class. Check course meeting details carefully. Labs meet as outlined in the schedule details (may be online, on campus or in Teams).
What is my next step?
Always speak with an Advisor about online courses and how they fit into your program at Carroll.