First in My Family Program
Carroll Supports Success!
First in My Family is a program designed to support first-generation students at Carroll Community College.*
Being the first in your family to go to college is both exciting and challenging.
As a student at Carroll, you will be able to take advantage of all the opportunities that college has to offer. As one of the first in your family to go to college, you possess strengths that will serve you well as a college student including enthusiasm, self-control, curiosity, perseverance/grit, optimism, gratitude and social intelligence. This program will help you tap into those strengths while also providing you with information and resources on how to navigate college.
Don’t worry! We’re here to guide you every step of the way toward your educational goals, from advising you on financial aid and what classes to take for a seamless transfer, to coaching you on how to achieve an effective work/school/life balance and how to start a career that best suits your interests.
Program benefits for participants include:
- Attending 3-5 programs throughout the semester designed to give students tools for success and allowing them to engage with other first-generation students, faculty and staff.
- Taking the Clifton Strengths assessment to empower you to succeed on campus and beyond.
- Opportunity to become a member of Tri-Alpha, the national honor society for first-generation students.
- Opportunity to serve as a mentor in your second year for the next group on incoming first-generation students.
- First in My Family Scholarship
*To be eligible for the First in My Family program, neither parent or guardian can have graduated with an Associate or Bachelor’s degree.
Ready to Take the Next Step?
Monday – Thursday | 8:30 a.m. – 6 p.m.
Friday | 8:30 a.m. – 4 p.m.
410-386-8435 | email@example.com