Legal Departments & Practices
Carroll County Sheriff’s Office
410 Court Street, Westminster, MD 21157-5112
- The Carroll County Sheriff’s Office is committed to providing highest level of service to our community. For us, this means doing everything we can to ensure everyone we have contact with is safe.
Carroll County State’s Attorney
55 N. Court Street, Suite 100, Westminster, MD 21157-5155
410-386-2671 | 888-302-8925
- The Carroll County State’s Attorney’s Office is a Division of the Executive Branch that serves the county as its chief law enforcement agency, in prosecuting all criminal cases ranging from serious traffic violations to murder.
Hampstead Police Department
1112 S. Main Street, Hampstead, MD 21074-2255 410-239-8954
- The Hampstead Police Department is a small town agency located in northeastern Carroll County, Maryland, serving the incorporated town’s residents, businesses, and surrounding communities.
- HPD currently has ten sworn officers and one non-sworn member operating out of our historic station on Main St.
Manchester Police Department
3215 Long Lane, P.O. Box 830, Manchester, MD 21102-1782
Maryland State Police, Barrack G
1100 Baltimore Boulevard, Westminster, MD 21157-7025
- The Maryland State Police Westminster Barrack is one of Maryland’s largest and busiest state police installations.
- With a compliment of over forty sworn troopers and ten civilian staff, the personnel at the Westminster Barrack strive each day to provide those who live, work, or visit Carroll County with the finest law enforcement services anywhere.
Maryland State Police in Mount Airy
2 Park Avenue, Mount Airy, MD 21771-5438
- Maryland State Police Resident Trooper Program
- The Town of Mount Airy has five Maryland State Police Resident Troopers. Resident Troopers perform the same duties a local police force would perform.
Sykesville Police Department
7547 Main Street, Sykesville, MD 21784-7364
Taneytown Police Department
120 E. Baltimore Street, Taneytown, MD 21787-2110
- The Police Department serves approximately 7,200 citizens. We handle between 700-800 calls for service each month.
- We are the second largest municipality in Carroll County. Keeping up with training and new technology is very important to the quality of service we provide to our citizens.
Westminster Police Department
36 Locust Street, Westminster, MD 21157-5043
- The Westminster Police Department (WPD) is responsible for providing full-service law enforcement and public safety-related services to its citizens and visitors.
- In operation 24-hours a day, 7 days a week, WPD is in partnership with the community, striving to preserve peace and provide a safe environment by preventing crime, protecting life, liberty, and property, enforcing laws in a fair, impartial, and complete manner, and detecting crime and apprehending criminals.
Carroll County Office of the Public Defender
101 N. Court Street, Suite 140, Westminster, MD 21157-5166
- Provides legal representation for indigent defendants at all stages of criminal, serious traffic, and juvenile proceedings in Carroll County.
- Eligibility based on income and assets.
- Must apply at least 10 business days before trial date. All ages served.
Carroll County Victim Witness Assistance Unit
Carroll County State’s Attorney’s Office, 55 N. Court Street, Suite 100, Westminster, MD 21157-5155
- To provide support and assistance to victims and witnesses of homicide, sexual assault, child abuse, burglaries, serious assaults, and domestic violence and certain more serious misdemeanor cases. Visit their website to learn more about the services provided.
- Referrals to appropriate agencies and counseling services, as well as safe facilities, will be made when necessary.
- The Director can provide a speaker to community groups.
- A grassroots immigrant advocacy organization with multiple locations in the Mid-Atlantic area focused on human services, community organizing, and strategic campaigns to serve immigrant, Latino, and working-class members. Resources include adult ESOL classes, citizenship support and resources, legal services, vocational training, health and human services, youth leadership development, and financial education. See website for locations and numbers.
Collaborative Project of Maryland
- Free or reduced fee lawyer to assist in reaching an agreement without using Court.
Free Spanish Speaking Attorney
- Assistance filling out forms
Law Library of Carroll County Historic Courthouse
200 Willis St, Westminster
- Full law library open to public. Call ahead to confirm the Librarian will be present for assistance.
Circuit Court for Carroll County 55 N Court Street, Westminster Room 119
- Offers full free representation for domestic and civil cases and will assist with criminal expungements. Must meet income requirements.
Legal Aid Bureau
22 S. Market Street, Suite 11, Frederick, MD 21701-5572
- Provides the low-income residents of Carroll, Frederick, and Washington counties with free, high quality legal representation.
- This law office deals with the following civil problem areas: landlord-tenant and other housing problems, government benefits, family law, elder law, employment law, and consumer protection.
- Eligibility is based on income and problem type; call for screening.
Maryland Volunteer Lawyers Service
201 N. Charles Street, Suite 1400, Baltimore, MD 21201
- Provides free quality civil legal assistance to Marylanders with limited income. Provides free (and in some cases low cost) legal representation to Marylanders with limited income. We also provide free legal help for community-based nonprofits that are working to strengthen low-income communities in Maryland.
- Each eligible individual client is matched with a volunteer lawyer who has the appropriate skills and expertise to provide quality representation.
- Check the Internet site for a complete description of our services. Clients are responsible for all non-waivable court fees.
Women’s Law Center POARP (Protective Order Project)
Circuit Court for Carroll County Room 206, 55 N Court Street, Westminster Room 119
- Free full representation for petitioners who qualify in final protective order hearings. NO income requirement.
Women’s Law Center of Maryland
305 W. Chesapeake Avenue, Suite 201, Towson, MD 21204-4447
- Provides free legal services in the areas of family law, domestic violence, and employment law.
- Services include legal representation projects, and educational materials to help
- understand the law and individuals’ rights.
Maryland Courts – Family and Child
- Forms for domestic cases and information on services in all counties
Maryland Free Legal Answer
- To message/email a MD attorney for free answers for any civil case
Maryland Judiciary Case Search
- Maryland Circuit and District Court case records.
- Legal information on all topics
Thurgood Marshall State Law Library
- Court Rules and other legal research tools.