Housing, Food & Clothing
Car Seat Loaner Program, KISS (Kids in Safety Seats)
Carroll County Health Department, Health Education 290 S. Center Street, Westminster, MD 21157-5222
- To provide information to the public on child passenger safety laws and the correct use of safety seats. This program also loans safety seats to low-income Carroll County residents at a minimal charge. Safety seat checks at the Health Department are made by appointment only.
- Call for information on the next community car seat event.
Goodwill Industries of Monocacy Valley, Inc.
- Provide low-cost clothing, furniture, and household goods to residents of the local community with store revenues supporting Goodwill programs.
- Items include household wares, sporting goods, sewing/crafts, furniture, pictures, baby items, toys, linens, curtains, clothing, shoes, books, and some outdoor items.
James Thrift Shop
St. James Episcopal Church
234 S. Main Street, Mount Airy, MD 21771-5317
- Offers clean used clothing and household items at reasonable prices through the thrift shop, an outreach ministry of St. James’ Episcopal Church.
Mount Airy Net
(Located inside Calvary United Methodist Church) 403 S. Main Street, Mount Airy, MD 21771-5346
301-829-0472 (Leave voice mail message for service.)
- Mount Airy Net is a cooperative network of churches, civic organizations, and caring individuals. Services provided are emergency assistance for needy persons in the four-county Mount Airy area.
- Emergency assistance is available in the following areas: fuel/electricity, pharmaceutical, food, clothing, shelter (limited), and other appropriate needs.
- No fees are charged.
NESAP Thrift Store and Community Assistance Program
1046 S. Carroll Street, Hampstead, MD 21074-1816
- Northeast Social Action Program (NESAP) Services is a Christian non-profit, cooperative community outreach organization. Services include financial assistance for rent, fuel utilities, transportation, minor medical, as well as food, clothing, school supplies and Christmas assistance.
- The store helps fund the Assistance Programs and provides items free of charge for those in need. Serves all ages.
Human Services Programs of Carroll County, Inc. 23 W. Green Street, Westminster, MD 21157
- Services and products are available with and without a voucher (which can be picked at the Human Services Program Office at 10 Distillery Drive)at different times of the week/month.
- View the website for dates, times, and more information.
30 Carroll Street, Westminster, MD 21157-4831
- Provides a Christian outreach and support center which helps resolve short- term crises while seeking pathways to self-sufficiency.
- Provides prescription assistance to the uninsured and underinsured. Offers many programs including Back-to-School, Take-a-Book, Call for Coats, Blessings Closet, food assistance, general clothing, walk-ins, referral, and advocacy.
- Serves all ages.
- No fees are charged.
Carroll Community College Food Locker
- The Carroll Food Locker Program (CFLP) offers grocery assistance to Carroll Community College faculty, staff, and students in need.
- All students, credit and non-credit, who are registered for the current semester and current faculty and staff can participate. No financial information is required to determine eligibility.
- To sign up for the Food Locker, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Food items vary from week to week, but primarily consist of canned foods, dry goods, and limited amounts of frozen meats and produce.
- We also have a limited supply of hygiene products. Clients can sign up for an appointment by emailing email@example.com or calling 410-386-8500.
- The Food Locker is located on the lower level of the Great Hall, under the stairs and across from the vending machines.
Carroll County Food Sunday
Citizen Services Building
10 Distillery Drive (Ground Floor), Westminster, MD 21157-5021
- Collects non-perishable food and money to buy food and make it available to people who are hungry. The food is free and served to anyone in need. Visit the Food Sunday website for info about distribution sites across the county.
Deeds of Faith Food Pantry
Crosswind Church, 640 Lucabaugh Mill Road, Westminster, MD 21157-3814
- Visit their website for information about pantry hours and Church office hours.
First Call for Help
- 211 connects you with expert, caring help in your area.
Meals on Wheels of Central Maryland, Carroll County Branch
255 Clifton Boulevard, Suite 312, Westminster, MD 21157-4787
- This volunteer-based nonprofit agency provides meals to homebound persons of any age or economic status who are unable to shop or prepare meals for themselves.
- Fees are based on a sliding scale. Food Assistance Benefits, available although the Independence Card are accepted as payment.
Silver Run Community Food Pantry
3978 Littlestown Pike, Westminster, MD 21158-1541
- To collect non-perishable food items and distribute them to those who are hungry.
- Items are distributed from the St. Mary’s Evangelical Lutheran Church parish house.
- Please use the Mayberry Road entrance.
South Carroll Food Pantry
961 Johnsville Road, Sykesville, MD 21784-4903
- To work with the Maryland Food Bank to provide free groceries to Carroll County residents in need. Food is distributed at Wesley Freedom United Methodist Church from 9 am to noon the fourth Saturday of each month.
- No charge for the groceries. Photo identification is required.
Thanksgiving Day Community Dinner
30 Carroll Street, PO Box 127, Westminster, MD 21157
- To provide a holiday meal for anyone who wishes to enjoy a feast and fellowship on Thanksgiving Day. A free meal is served from noon to 2:00 pm on Thanksgiving Day at St. John Roman Catholic Church. Delivery to shut-ins is available upon request.
Westminster Rescue Mission
28 W. Main Street, Westminster, MD 21157-4816
- As a nonprofit Christian organization the Westminster Rescue Mission is a community that provides clinical, physical, and spiritual resources to heal the addicted and feed the hungry.
Women, Infant, and Children Program (WIC) Carroll County Health Department
290 S. Center Street, Westminster, MD 21157-5219
Monday – Friday: 8:30 am – 4:30 pm
- To help Carroll County low-income families grow up healthy and stay healthy by providing nutritious food to pregnant, breast-feeding, or postpartum women, and their infants and children up to age five.
- Applicants are screened for medical and/or nutritional needs; they are weighed, measured, and screened for iron deficiency.
- Must also meet income and residency requirements. No fees are charged.
- Services are provided by appointment only.
A Meal and More
St. Paul’s United Church of Christ
17 Bond Street, Westminster, MD 21167
- A Meal and More is a weekly community meal for hungry people. Each week, a group of volunteers works to prepare and serve a hot meal to an average of 80–100 Westminster community members.
St. Joseph Roman Catholic Church
44 Frederick Street, Taneytown, MD 21787
- The Carpenter’s Table is an outreach program in Taneytown, MD that supplies bagged groceries and milk vouchers for families. To learn more about this program, visit their website.
Feed My Sheep
Wesley Freedom United Methodist Church 961 Johnsville Road, Sykesville, MD 21784
- This free, lunchtime meal is served in the Community Life Center at Wesley
- Freedom United Methodist Church and is sponsored by church congregations in the South Carroll area, and Wards Chapel UMC. Visit website for full list of dates and times.
Loaves and Fishes/Shepherd’s Table
Westminster United Methodist Church 165 E. Main Street, Westminster, MD
- Loaves and Fishes is an outreach ministry with the goal to feed and assist those in need in the community. Each week, different Westminster congregations take turns providing meals and hosts from the congregations are present to set up the dining area and assist during the meal and clean up. Visit website for a full calendar of dates and times.
Table of Grace Soup Kitchen/Ardent Folk Grace Lutheran Church
21 Carroll Street, Westminster 21157
- Table of Grace Soup Kitchen offers community meals to those in need. Visit website for full calendar of dates and times.
Bureau of Prevention, Wellness, and Recovery Carroll County Health Department
290 S. Center Street, Westminster, MD 21157-5219 410-876-4449
- Projects for Assistance in Transition From Homelessness – PATH
- PATH is a program that provides outreach to individuals with serious mental illness, including those with co-occurring substance use disorders.
- The PATH case manager links people with mental health services, social service agencies, health care providers, substance abuse providers and housing programs as well as a variety of other services to assist individuals in becoming self-sufficient, gain permanent housing and reach goals toward recovery.
Carroll County Bureau of Housing and Community Development Carroll County Department of Citizen Services
10 Distillery Drive, Suite 101, Westminster, MD 21157-5021
- To assure affordable, decent, safe, and sanitary housing for eligible families in communities of their choice while encouraging participants’ economic self- sufficiency.
- Provides technical and financial assistance related to housing and community development for all segments of Carroll County (except Westminster, which is served by its own Office of Housing and Community Development).
- Visit the website for more information about the programs offered, including vouchers, rental allowance, and temporary financial housing assistance for eligible county families.
- A similar program for working families is available in partnership with the Carroll County Department of Social Services.
Emergency Rental Assistance Program for Carroll County
Human Services Programs of Carroll County
- Are you being evicted? Are you behind in paying rent? Apply now to see if you qualify.
- If you or someone in your household have experienced a financial hardship due to COVID-19 and are behind on your rent, the Emergency Rental Assistance Program, recently established by the U.S. Treasury, may be able to help.
- To Be Eligible: You must be renting in Carroll County.
- You must have lost income or experienced a financial hardship due to or indirectly related to COVID-19.
- Household income must be at or below 80% of area median income.
- Call for assistance if facing foreclosure.
- Call for bad lending or scams.
Habitat for Humanity of Carroll County, Habitat for Humanity International
255 Clifton Boulevard, Suite 301, Westminster, MD 21157-4786
- Hours by appointment
- A locally run affiliate of Habitat for Humanity International, a nonprofit, ecumenical Christian housing organization, dedicated to meeting the needs of residents who lack adequate housing.
- Works in partnership with people in need to build and/or renovate decent, affordable housing.
- Eligibility for services is based on individual need. An application form may be requested by contacting the Habitat office.
- Clients are not charged a specific fee. There is a “sweat equity” requirement to persons receiving services through Habitat.
Human Services Programs of Carroll County,
10 Distillery Drive, Ground Floor, Westminster, MD 21157 410-857-2999
- The Family Support Programs – Provides services that help families develop self- sufficiency and effective parenting skills. Child development care is provided to support parents while they are learning valuable skills
- Shelter & Housing – In addition to shelter, services are provided to assist families, individuals, and those with disabilities get back on their fee to obtain and remain in permanent housing.
- Workforce Development – Assists individuals in job training, resume building, and searching for employment. The Workforce team also works with individuals to overcome barriers to employment such as criminal background or lack of previous experience.
- Emergency & Prevention Services – Connects individuals with an array of funds throughout the community and the state to assist them with paying utilities and preventing evictions. Emergency Services partners with the Maryland Energy Services Programs (MEAP) and the Office of Home Energy Programs (OHEP) of the Department of Human Resources.
- Visit the website for more information about the programs included.
Night by Night Shelter (Cold Weather Shelter):
127 Stoner Avenue, Westminster, MD, 21157
- Human Services Programs (HSP) of Carroll County operates a year-round night by night shelter which accepts walk-in participants nightly at 7:00 p.m. with stays through 8:00 a.m. the following morning. Light food is available
The Mainstream Voucher Program
- Disability Voucher Housing Program
- Mainstream vouchers assist non-elderly persons with disabilities. Aside from serving a special population, Mainstream vouchers are administered using the same rules as other housing choice vouchers. Please see PIH Notice 2020-01 for more information.
Weber Sober Homes
P.O. Box 106, Woodbine, MD 21797
- Provides interventions, one-on-one counseling, addiction support groups, and Alcoholics Anonymous meetings. Offers 12-step outpatient recovery model and men’s recovery houses. There are two recovery houses available.
- All residents must pay their own way, participate in overseeing the house, and remain clean and sober.
- Fee for service.
- Serves men 18 and older.
Westminster Office of Housing Services Westminster City Government
56 W. Main Street, Westminster, MD 21157 410-848-2261
- To help low-income citizens of Westminster meet their housing needs, and to revitalize the city’s older neighborhoods. Visit the website for more information about voucher and rental assistance programs, among others.
Westminster Rescue Mission and Thrift Store
658 Lucabaugh Road, PO Box 285, Westminster, MD 21158
- Offers a long-term faith-based, residential recovery program for men ages 18 and up battling addiction. Program includes daily classes, chapel, on-site clinical and pastoral counseling, AA/NA/CR meetings and work therapy