Education & Employment
Carroll Community College Adult Education Carroll Community College
224 N. Center Street, Westminster, MD 21157-5134
- Help county adults and out-of-school youth obtain high school diplomas, improve basic reading, writing and math skills or improve English language and literacy skills so that they can become self- directed learners, effective workers, responsible citizens, and productive members of their families and communities.
- Two options are offered for earning a Maryland State High School Diploma: The National External Diploma Program & the General Educational Development (GED) Test Preparation Courses—visit the website to learn more about these programs and other classes.
- Serves individuals ages 17 years and older – Must be withdrawn from school.
Carroll County Public Library
- Carroll County Public Library creates and provides our community with enriching and innovative resources, experiences, and services. Summer reading programs, book, videogame, audiobook, CD and DVD lending, computer, Wi-Fi, and internet use.
Carroll County Public Schools Birth through Five Program
125 North Court Street, Westminster, MD 21157
410-876-4437 – Infant & Toddler (0 -3-year-old)
410-751-3295 – Child (3 year old to Kindergarten)
- Offers early intervention services to eligible children, 0-5 years of age, and their families at no cost.
- To qualify to receive services under the Individualized Family Service Plan (IFSP), the child must be under three and meet one of the following criteria: demonstrate a 25% delay in at least one developmental area, demonstrate atypical development, and/or have a diagnosed condition that places him/her at risk of developmental delays.
Catholic Charities Head Start & Early Head Start of Carroll County
255 Clifton , Suite 101, Westminster, MD, 21157
- Provides a school and learning readiness experience for children 6 weeks to 5 years who qualify, based on income or a special need. Offers some transportation, health services, speech and language services, and breakfast, lunch and snack to children enrolled in the centers. Parent involvement is essential to the program.
- Catholic Charities operates at three locations in Carroll County: Clifton Blvd. in Westminster, Church of the Brethren in Westminster and Taneytown, as well as a home visitation program.
Judy Center Partnership Carroll County Public Schools
Located at Robert Morton Elementary School
1413 Washington Road, Westminster, MD 21157
- Promotes school readiness, for children birth through kindergarten. Learn more about the locations and partnership services at the website.
Literacy Council of Carroll County
255 Clifton Boulevard, Suite 314, Westminster, MD 21157-4787
- Tutors adults needing help in basic English, including reading, writing, ESOL, GED, math, and basic computer operation. Assists individuals reach their life goals.
Carroll Community College – Financial Aid
- Financial support to help pay for college is now available for qualifying students.
Carroll County Scholarships Databases
Carroll County Public Schools Scholarships Listings
Carroll County Business and Employment Resource Center (BERC) Carroll County Department of Economic Development
- Available programs to develop a highly effective workforce for new and existing businesses; to assist job seekers in achieving, advancing, and retaining employment, and to encourage lifelong learning.
- Visit the website to learn more about services provided to businesses, dislocated workers, displaced homemakers, individuals with disabilities, adults, veterans, and youth, as well as to learn about The Resource Center.
Goodwill Industries Employment Resource Center
- Offers job placement services to individuals with barriers to employment. Clients are referred to the free Steps for Success class at 1 pm each Tuesday. Also provides basic Word and Excel computer classes on Tuesday and Thursday afternoons.
- C.A.R.E.S. certificates are available at local non-profits to be used at local Goodwill stores for free clothing, household goods, and beds.
Human Services Programs of Carroll County
10 Distillery Drive, Ground Floor, Westminster, MD 21157
- Workforce Development – Assists individuals in job training, resume building, and searching for employment. The Workforce team also works with individuals to overcome barriers to employment such as criminal background or lack of previous experience. Visit the website to learn more about the programs offered between the Family Support Programs, Shelter & Housing, and the Emergency & Prevention Services.
STEP (Schapiro Training & Employment Program) A Division of Chesapeake Goodwill Industries
257 E. Main Street, Westminster, MD 21157-5553
- The STEP Supported Employment division assists individuals with serious and persistent psychiatric disabilities secure and maintain employment in a competitive labor force.
- The STEP Psychiatric Rehabilitation division is an individualized, person-directed program that assists individuals with mental illness to develop, enhance and maintain psychiatric stability, social skills, independent living skills and access resources to live successful independent lives.
Mosaic Community Services, Inc.
288 E. Green Street, Westminster, MD 21157
410-876-3007, Ext. 1673
- Offers vocational rehabilitation to people with psychiatric disabilities and other barriers to employment. Contact provider for specialty areas.