Intimate/Sexual & Domestic Violence
40 Domestic Violence Resources: Mental Health & Addiction
- Three issues – domestic violence, mental health, and addiction – are tightly interwoven with domestic violence. An awareness of how these interrelate is necessary to understand domestic violence, how to prevent or stop it, and how to recover from it. We also curated 40 valuable resources to help break the cycle.
Family and Children’s Services
22 North Court Street Westminster MD 21157 410 876 1233 (Court Street)
443-865-8031 (24-hour Domestic Violence Hotline)
410-876-1233 (Office Administrator)
- Family and Children’s Services operates case management, behavioral health, and medication management programs.
- The case management services include the comprehensive domestic violence services for victims and dependents of intimate partner violence.
- Case Management also assists with Family Violence, victims impacted by elder abuse, sexual abuse, sexual assault, human trafficking, and gang related violence.
- Services for the case management program includes crisis intervention, safety planning, court advocacy, home visits with law enforcement, support groups and individual support.
- Case managers can meet in the community if it is safe and meet the needs of the client.
- There is also a 24-hour hotline for domestic violence support. FCS also runs a Domestic Violence Safe House which is in an undisclosed location in the county.
- The behavioral health and medication management programs see clients who have experienced trauma, recent or historic, and works with those who identify with general mental health needs.
House of Ruth Domestic Violence Legal Clinic
410-889-7884 (24-hour Hotline)
888-880-7884 (Legal Office)
- House of Ruth leads the fight to end violence against women and their children by confronting the attitudes, behaviors, and systems that perpetuate it, and by providing victims with the services necessary to rebuild their lives safely and free of fear.
Maryland Network Against Domestic Violence
6911 Laurel Bowie Road, Suite 309, Bowie, MD 20715
- Maryland Network Against Domestic Violence is a coalition that brings together victim service providers, allied professionals, and concerned individuals to reduce intimate partner violence. The coalition provides education, awareness, training, technical assistance, lethality assessment programs, advocacy, and collaboration with local, state, and national organizations.
National Domestic Violence Hotline
88788 (Text Start)
- A free, confidential, 24/7, 365-day-a-year service to identify abuse, get help, plan for safety, support others, and access local resources.
Catoctin Counseling Center
63 East Main Street, Westminster, MD 21157
- Certified Abuser Intervention Program
- Catoctin Counseling provides counseling for substance abuse, domestic violence/anger management, mental health, families, and couples. Their services include:
- Managing life stressors
- Counseling treatment of emotional issues Counseling treatment of compulsive behaviors.
Rape Crisis Intervention Service of Carroll County
224 N. Center Street, Room 102, Westminster, MD 21157-5134
410-857-7322 (24-hour Hotline)
- Provides counseling and support services to people in the community hurt by sexual violence, and to eliminate sexual violence in Carroll County through education and advocacy.
- Client services include: 24-hour hotline; walk-in crisis counseling; group therapy; individual therapy; accompaniment to meet with police, go to the hospital, and/or appear in court, and advocacy.
- Services are available to both female and male victims as well as family members.
- Community services include educational programs for schools, colleges, employers, community groups and professional organizations. Workshop topics include dating violence, domestic violence, sexual harassment, child sexual abuse prevention, and rape risk reduction programs.
- Services are free and confidential.
- Serves adults and youth ages 12 and older.
The Women’s Law Center of Maryland Family Law Hotline
800-818-9888 (Legal Forms Help)
877-293-2507 (Spanish Speaking Attorney)
- The Women’s Law of Maryland advocates for the physical safety, economic security, and autonomy of women throughout the state.
- A variety of legal services are offered in Family Law, Immigration, Domestic Violence Protective Orders, and Employment Law.