Skip to main content

Campus Alert

In addition to offering academic and social support to ease the transition from military service to higher education, Carroll participates in GI Bill® and military tuition payment options. ‘

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at

Eligible student veterans may receive monthly educational benefits from the Department of Veteran Affairs ( for their courses at Carroll Community College. Educational benefits vary depending upon the number of billable hours of a student veteran enrollment and the VA chapter the student veteran is assigned.

All student veterans must apply to use their VA educational benefits. Complete VA Form 22-1990 online ( and submit to Buffalo, NY electronically. When you receive the Certificate of Eligibility (COE) the information about which chapter to certify and the percentage amount will be helpful in determining the monthly housing allowance (MHA) and amounts paid toward tuition and fees.

The monthly housing allowance (MHA) for Chapter 33 and Chapter 31 will begin thirty days after the start of the semester and is sent directly to the student veteran from the VA. The monthly stipend for Chapter 35 and Chapter 1606 will begin thirty days after the start of the semester and is also sent directly to the student from the VA.

When the student veteran registers for classes, the enrollment certification will be submitted online to the VA Processing Center in Buffalo, NY. The certification will be submitted by the school certifying official (SCO) approximately thirty (30) days prior to the semester’s start date.

In addition, eligible student veterans may also apply for financial assistance from the various federal, state and institutional financial aid programs. Contact the Financial Aid Office at 410-386-8437 for more information about how to use your VA educational benefits at Carroll Community College.

Out-of-State Student Veterans

The federal government issued House Bill 935 (HB 935) to provide in-state tuition and fees for out of state student veterans. This provision allows student veterans residing outside of Maryland to attend Carroll Community College using in-state tuition and fees, as long as the student veteran graduated from a Carroll County high school, separated from the military service within the last five years and has an honorary discharge recorded on their DD214.

Maryland state enacted Choice Act 702 (CA 702) and Choice Act 703 (CA 703) to provide in-state tuition and fees without any provisions toward the student veterans discharge date or high school graduation, as stipulated by the federal government. CA 702 is applied toward the student veteran; CA 703 is applied toward the veteran’s spouse/dependent.

This tuition waiver policy for members of the National Guard is pursuant to Chapter II, Section 404, of the Education Article, Annotated Code of Maryland. There is a 50% reduction (waiver) in tuition for members of the Maryland National Guard.

This waiver is applicable when the following conditions are met:

  • Regularly scheduled course space is available;
  • The Maryland National Guard member is enrolled at the institution; and
  • The Maryland Adjutant General has certified that the member of the Maryland National Guard has at least 24 months remaining to serve or has agreed in writing to serve for a minimum of 24 months.

The Maryland National Guard member is responsible for all applicable fees (no 50% reduction is to be applied for fees). Contact the Cashier’s Office at (410) 386-8040 for more information about using this tuition waiver at Carroll.

Vocational Rehabilitation (Chapter 31) provides assistance to veterans who have a service-connected disability of at least 20% and are in need of vocational rehabilitation.

Eligible veterans may be allowed up to 48 months of full-time benefits. Veterans generally have 12 years from the date they are notified of their program entitlement.

Veterans may be eligible for Chapter 31 benefits if they are rated 10% disabled and have been identified as having a serious employment handicap.

The Post-9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Act of 2008 provides benefits to veterans who served active duty on or after Sept. 11, 2001 and have served at least 90 aggregate days or have been discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days.

Under this bill, veterans may receive training benefits on or after Aug. 1, 2009. Benefits are not available for training pursued prior to that date.

Eligible training includes undergraduate and graduate degree and certificate programs pursued at a university or college that is authorized to grant an associate’s degree or higher.

Post-9/11 Gi Bill® Benefits

The bill provides up to 36 months of education benefits. Benefits are generally payable for 15 years following the veteran’s active due release. Payments are based on the amount of service they completed after Sept. 10, 2001. Larger benefits are given to those who served more active duty or mobilization time.

Eligible veterans may receive a(n):

  • payment for tuition and fees sent directly to the university or college
  • monthly housing allowance*
  • annual book and supplies stipend of $1,000*
  • one-time rural benefit payment of $500

Maximum benefits are given to those who served an aggregate of 36 months or more of active duty service, or after 30 days of continuous service they were discharged for a service connected disability after Sept. 10, 2001. Veterans who served between 90 days and 36 months of aggregate active duty service are eligible for a percentage of the maximum benefits.

*The housing allowance and books and supplies stipend are not payable for those on active duty, enrolled as a half-time student or less, and/or enrolled in online learning.

Choosing Your GI Bill® Benefits

Eligible veterans for the Post-9/11 GI Bill® and other GI Bills®, such as the Montgomery GI Bill®, are required to choose the benefit they wish to receive.

The Post-9/11 GI Bill® may provide a better benefits package in terms of eligibility criteria, period of eligibility and financial value in comparison to current educational benefit programs.

For some veterans, the choice may be irrevocable. For this reason, it is important to review and compare the eligibility requirements and benefits for all other GI Bills®. The best program depends on individual circumstances.

More Information

Learn more about the Post-9/11 GI Bill®. For assistance and questions specific to Carroll, call Irene Wood at 410-386-8437.

Survivors and Dependents Benefits (Chapter 35) provide educational benefits to spouses and children of veterans who either died while in service, died as a result of a service-connected disability, or became totally and permanently disabled as a result of their military service.

Survivors and dependents are allowed 45 months of full-time benefits. Spouses have 10 years from the date of the veteran’s permanent and total disability rating effective date or the veteran’s death. Dependents’ benefits end on their 26th birthday or eight years from the veteran’s permanent or total disability rating effective date or the veteran’s death, but not after the dependent’s 31st birthday.

On Dec. 23, 2006, an additional category of spouses and dependents were determined eligible for Chapter 35 benefits. The new category includes the spouse or dependent(s) of a veteran who the VA determines:

  • has a service-connected 100% disability
  • is on active duty, hospitalized or receiving outpatient medical care at the time of the determination, and
  • is likely to be discharged from service due to the service connected disability

Montgomery GI Bill® – Selected Reserves (Chapter 1606) benefits are available to reservists who enlisted, reenlisted or extended an enlistment in the Selected Reserve for at least six years on or after July 1, 1985. For officers, the six-year period is in addition to any other obligated period of service.

A reservist is allowed 36 months of full-time benefits.

Eligibility for the Program Requires that Reservists:

  • have obtained a high school diploma or equivalent
  • must have completed Initial Active Duty Training (IADB)
  • must be participating in training at the time benefits are used

The National Call to Service Program became effective Oct. 1, 2003. Eligibility for the program involves a three-tiered service requirement to be approved by the Secretary of Defense. Participating veterans have a choice of benefits that include:

  • a cash bonus;
  • repayment of student loans;
  • entitlement to educational benefits equal to the three-year monthly Chapter 30 rate for 12 months;
  • or, entitlement to educational benefits of 50% of the less than the three-year monthly Chapter 30 rate for 36 months.

Restored Entitlement Program for Survivors (REPS) may be available to certain survivors of deceased veterans in addition to Chapter 35 benefits.

Eligibility for these benefits is limited to unmarried full-time students between ages 18 – 22 whose parent died while on active duty before Aug. 13, 1981 or died from a service connected disability incurred before Aug. 13, 1981.

These benefits are similar to the benefits eliminated from Social Security. The benefit amount is based on information from the Social Security Administration.

Students who are applying for benefits for the first time must complete DVA form 21-8924, Application of Surviving Spouse or Child for REPS Benefits.

Students eligible for benefits under Chapters 30, 32, 1606 and 35 may be eligible for tutorial assistance from the Department of Veterans Affairs.

To receive the benefit, a student must:

  • Be enrolled for six semester hours or more
  • Show deficiency in a course(s) required for their degree program

Eligible students may receive a maximum monthly payment of $100. The maximum total benefit is $1,200. There is no entitlement charge for the first $600 of tutorial assistance.

To apply, students must complete DVA form 22-1990t, Application and Enrollment Certification for Individualized Tutorial Assistance, and Carroll’s Authorization of Tutorial Assistance form.

Students eligible for Chapters 30, 31, 32, 35 and 1606 benefits may be eligible to participate in the Department of Veterans Affairs (DVA) work-study program.

To receive the benefit, a student must be enrolled for nine semester hours or more.

Students may work at DVA-approved sites for up to 400 hours during a semester. Payments are based on the federal or state minimum wage, whichever is greater.

To apply, students must complete DVA form 20-8691, Application for Work-Study Allowance, and mail it to their nearest Regional Office.